English Bangers Recipe
An excellent recipe for a delicious traditional English treat - serve with mash potatoes for the famous "Bangers and Mash" meal.
British and Irish sausages are normally made from pork or beef mixed with a variety of herbs and spices. They normally contain a certain amount of bread rusk, and are traditionally cooked by frying, grilling or roasting prior to eating. Due to their habit of often exploding due to shrinkage of the tight skin during cooking, they are commonly referred to as bangers, particularly when served with the most common accompaniment of mashed potatoes to form a bi-national dish known as bangers and mash. (The designation banger was in use at least as far back as 1919 and is often said to have been popularized in World War II, when scarcity of meat led many sausage makers to add water to the mixture, making it more likely to explode on heating).
Homemade English Bangers Ingredients:
- 2 1/2-lb ground veal
- 2 1/2-lb ground pork
- 15 slices white bread, broken up into small pieces
- 5-tsp salt
- 1 1/2-tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2-tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2-tsp mace
- 1/2-tsp nutmeg
- 1/2-tsp thyme
- 1/2-tsp marjoram
- 5-tsp sage
Homemade English Bangers Instructions
- Hand-trim fat from the outside of meat to your desired fat preference.
- Grind the meat with a fine grinding plate.
- After grinding, add the sausage seasonings to the meat and blend by hand or use a meat mixer. Be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the meat.
- Stuff by hand or by using a sausage stuffer or sausage stuffing attachment for an electric meat-grinder. (Note: do NOT use the blade in meat-grinder when stuffing and it is best to use a stuffing (bean) plate). If you wish, You can also form patties without casings.
We Are Committed to providing you with 100% satisfaction in your experience with us! We feel that the best way to build repeat business and a long lasting relationship with our customers is by treating them right and giving them the highest quality customer service, along with unmatched product selection and competitive prices. If we ever fail to meet your expectations please contact us and we will make every attempt possible to meet and beat your highest expectations in order to make you a happy customer.