Bratwurst Recipe #3 (Pork & Veal)
Bratwurst is one of America's most popular sausages, thanks to their introduction into baseball stadiums in the 1950's. A bratwurst is a sausage composed of pork, beef, or veal. The name is German, derived from Old High German bratwurst, from brät-, which is finely chopped meat and -wurst, which means sausage.
There are many recipes for various varieties of bratwurst. The type of bratwurst most commonly found in the United States are approximately 1 inch in diameter, reddish-brown in color, and made of some combination of beef and pork, and sometimes bratwurst is smoked.
You can follow the recipe below, or just purchase one of our ready-made Bratwurst Seasoning mixes (scroll down to see links).
Homemade Bratwurst Ingredients:
- 3-lb ground pork, fine grind
- 2-lb medium ground veal
- 2-tsp mace
- 2-tsp white pepper
- 1-cup milk
- 2-tsp ground nutmeg
- 2-tbsp salt
- 1/2-tsp ground ginger
Homemade Bratwurst Instructions
- Hand-trim fat from the outside of meat to your desired fat preference.
- Grind the meat using a fine grinding plate.
- After grinding, add the sausage seasonings to the meat and blend by hand or use a meat mixer. Be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the meat.
- Stuff by hand or by using a sausage stuffer or sausage stuffing attachment for an electric meat-grinder. (Note: do NOT use the blade in meat-grinder when stuffing and it is best to use a stuffing (bean) plate). If you wish, You can also form patties without casings.
We Are Committed to providing you with 100% satisfaction in your experience with us! We feel that the best way to build repeat business and a long lasting relationship with our customers is by treating them right and giving them the highest quality customer service, along with unmatched product selection and competitive prices. If we ever fail to meet your expectations please contact us and we will make every attempt possible to meet and beat your highest expectations in order to make you a happy customer.