Bratwurst Recipe #1 (All Pork)
Bratwurst is one of America's most popular sausages, thanks to their introduction into baseball stadiums in the 1950's. A bratwurst is a sausage composed of pork, beef, or veal. The name is German, derived from Old High German bratwurst, from brät-, which is finely chopped meat and -wurst, which means sausage.
There are many recipes for various varieties of bratwurst. The type of bratwurst most commonly found in the United States are approximately 1 inch in diameter, reddish-brown in color, and made of some combination of beef and pork, and sometimes bratwurst is smoked.
Homemade Bratwurst Ingredients:
- 5-lbs ground pork, fine grind
- 4-tsp sugar
- 1-tbsp ground coriander
- 1-tbsp ground sage
- 1-tsp paprika
- 1-tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-tsp dried rosemary
- 1-tbsp dry mustard
- 1-tsp pepper
- 1-tsp nutmeg
- 5-tsp salt
Homemade Bratwurst Instructions
- Hand-trim fat from the outside of meat to your desired fat preference.
- Grind the meat using a fine grinding plate.
- After grinding, add the sausage seasonings to the meat and blend by hand or use a meat mixer. Be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the meat.
- Stuff by hand or by using a sausage stuffer or sausage stuffing attachment for an electric meat-grinder. (Note: do NOT use the blade in meat-grinder when stuffing and it is best to use a stuffing (bean) plate). If you wish, You can also form patties without casings.
Remember, we offer high-quality equipment and accessories at everyday low prices. Contact our knowledgeable customer service staff toll free at 877-231-8589 with any questions you have.