Super homemade Pepperoni recipe that the kids will love! Enjoy your homemade pepperoni! It can be used as a topping for pizzas, added to sandwiches, or enjoyed as a snack on its own.
Homemade Pepperoni Ingredients:
- 7 pounds pre-frozen or certified pork butt, cubed, fat included
- 3 pounds lean beef chuck, round or shank, cubed
- 5 Tablespoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 3 Tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoons crushed anise seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, very finely minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid
- 1 teaspoon saltpeter
Step 1: Preparation
- Thaw the frozen pork butt if using pre-frozen meat. Cut the pork butt and beef chuck into small cubes, ensuring that some fat is included.
Step 2: Mixing the Spices
- In a large bowl, combine the salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika, crushed anise seed, and minced garlic. Mix well to evenly distribute the spices.
Step 3: Grinding the Meat
- Pass the cubed pork butt and beef chuck through a meat grinder using the fine grinding plate. If you don't have a meat grinder, you can ask your butcher to grind the meat for you.
Step 4: Mixing the Meat and Spices
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground pork butt and beef chuck with the spice mixture. Mix thoroughly until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the meat.
Step 5: Adding the Remaining Ingredients
- Pour the dry red wine over the meat mixture and mix well to incorporate.
- Add the ascorbic acid and saltpeter to the mixture and continue mixing until everything is well combined.
Step 6: Curing the Pepperoni
- Shape the meat mixture into a log shape and tightly wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped log in the refrigerator and let it cure for at least 24 hours. This will allow the flavors to meld and develop.
Step 7: Cooking the Pepperoni
- Preheat your oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Unwrap the cured meat log and place it on a baking rack set inside a baking sheet to catch any drippings.
- Bake the pepperoni in the preheated oven for about 2-3 hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 71°C (160°F).
- Remove the pepperoni from the oven and let it cool completely.
Step 8: Slicing and Storing
- Once the pepperoni has cooled, use a sharp knife to slice it into thin rounds or desired thickness.
- Store the sliced pepperoni in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Alternatively, you can freeze it for longer storage.
Enjoy your homemade pepperoni! It can be used as a topping for pizzas, added to sandwiches, or enjoyed as a snack on its own.
Remember, we offer high-quality equipment and accessories at everyday low prices. Contact our knowledgeable customer service staff toll free at 877-231-8589 with any questions you have.